Maloff Protect is a malaria prevention medication, which is also known as malaria chemoprophylaxis. Maloff Protect’s active ingredients are Atovaquone and Proguanil 250mg/100mg, which are the leading combination for malaria chemoprophylaxis in the UK.
Both of these active substances prevent the production of a type of malarial parasite called P. falciparum – this is the most serious form of human malaria.
Once infected from the bite of a mosquito carrying P. falciparum, the parasite will begin to reproduce within the red blood cells. However, Maloff Protect will work to:
• Stop the production of certain substances that the parasite needs to reproduce
• Prevent the action of a compound that is found in the parasite
After being bitten, it will take up to 7 days for Maloff Protect to kill the malarial parasite. However, this is only if the course of medication is correctly taken and completed. Otherwise, you will put yourself at an increased risk of infection.
Until now, this combination of ingredients for malaria chemoprophylaxis was only available with a prescription from your GP. Maloff Protect offers the same level of protection but is available directly from your pharmacist, making your travel preparations even simpler.
The 36 pack is ideal if you are travelling for longer than 2 weeks. Before you travel, ensure you have enough tablets for the needed dose.
How to use
Take 1 tablet daily with food or a milky drink at the same time each day.
• Start the medication 1-2 days prior to entering malaria endemic area
• Use every day during your stay
• Continue using for 7 days after your return ( to a malaria-free area)
Please note: the maximum duration of travel for which Maloff Protect can be supplied without prescription is 12 weeks (93 tablets). For longer durations of travel, seek advice from your doctor.
• Tablet must be swallowed not crushed
• Continue the medication as normal the next day if you forget to take a tablet. Do not take 2 tablets together
• If you happen to vomit within an hour of taking a tablet, take another straight away
Warnings and precautions: Like most medicines, Maloff Protect can cause side effects. The most common side effects are:
• Nausea and vomiting
• Abdominal pain
If you experience any of the above, speak to one of our in-store pharmacists or your GP.
Please be aware that sever reactions are rare. However, if you experience any of the following stop taking Maloff protect immediately and consult your doctor:
• Skin rashes
• Itching Sudden wheezing
• Difficulty breathing
• Swelling of the face
• Tightening of the chest/throat
If any of the below apply to you, Maloff Protect is not suitable and you should speak to a medical professional about other forms of malaria prevention:
• Children and adolescents under 18
• Adults weighing less than 40 kg (6st 4lbs)
• People allergic to any of the ingredients
• Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to become pregnant
• Patients diagnosed with renal or hepatic impairment
• Patients with a history of depression or seizures
• Patients with tuberculosis
• Patients taking any of the following medications:
– Rifampicin or Rifabutin
– Warfarin or other oral Anticoagulant
– Indinavir, Efavirenz, Zidovudine or boosted Protease inhibitor
Click and Collect
Deliver to UK address
(FREE on orders over £20) Including Isle of Man and Channel Islands. Free delivery on prescriptions.
• Atovaquone 250mg
• Proguanil 100mg